Saturday, August 25, 2012

One Picture is Worth A Thousand Words

Sometimes it is difficult for me to decide what picture to use to illustrate a poem. Yesterday was one of those days.

I had four very different pictures, and each picture could give a different meaning to the poem. 

I finally settled on the bride and groom, but I could have used the trolls, or the picture of Glenn Close and Michael Douglass portraying their characters in the movie “Fatal Attraction”, or the old-timey postcard.

All four pictures show couples, but the poem takes on a whole different meaning because of the associations we have with each picture. It is akin to the connotations of words.

Use the comments section to tell me which picture you think works best with the poem?  Be sure to include your reasons for picking it.  

 Commentary
 
Ha!
Just kidding!
      Or . . .
          maybe not.

Go up to a couple:
Say to one of them,
You know,
        you could
               do better.

 © 2012 Catherine Giordano
 
http://www.cappex.com

 
 
 
 
 

 
 



2 comments:

  1. I don't think any of the pictures are needed--if you must, I'd say stick with the b & g.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate feedback. I guess my thesis that the pictures change the meaning of the poem didn't convince you. For me, half the fun of doing these daily poems is finding just the right picture, so I'm going to keep doing the pictures even if they don't add anything. When I publishe the poems in my books; there are no pictures. It's good to know that they can stand on their own.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.