Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Is it Drug or Dragged?

by Catherine Giordano
Dragged Not Drug Grammar
What is the past tense of "drag"?

I’ve been doing these humorous grammar posts using the persona of “Miss Grammers, The Naughty Grammarian. Last night I finished the post, The Naughty Grammarian: Is it Drug or Dragged?

My work done for the day, I went to watch TV. I was watching Rachel Maddow and she did a story about Ray Rice punching a woman in an elevator. She said the video clip shows “a woman on the ground being roughly drug out of the elevator.” 

“Drug” is NOT the past tense of “drag.” “Dragged” is the past tense of “drag.” 

I think Rachel Maddow is the smartest news anchor on TV. If even she got it wrong, I despair for the English language. Little did I know when I wrote that post how much it was needed.

Please read it and share it so we can get the English-speaking world speaking English.

You may also enjoy these other posts from The Naughty Grammarian.   
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.