Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Reading and 'Riting and 'Rithmetic

Remember this:


School Days, School Days

School Days, school days,
Dear old golden rule days,
Reading and ‘riting and ‘rithmetic
Taught to the tune of a hick’ry stick
You were my queen in calico
I was your barefoot beau
You wrote on my slate,
“I love you so.”
When we were a couple of kids.


I found this picture of a school house at http://nasbe.org
-- Gus Edwards/Will Cobb, 1907

 

Why am I sharing this old poem?

I’m sharing it because I wrote a poem entitled Back to School on the News Print Poetry 2012 blog, and it gets a lot of hits. When I review my stats, I see that it is probably getting hits because people are searching for a picture of a school house. 

If I put the picture on this blog too, maybe I’ll get more hits here. 
 
So I’m sharing this poem just so I can get more hits for my blog.

Nonetheless, it is a fun poem. I hope you enjoyed seeing it again. And maybe you were like me and didn’t even know that the poem included those last five lines.
 
And now you know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.