Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Summer Olympics: Opening Ceremony

The opening ceremony of the Olympic Summer Games in London ws a magnificent extravaganza celebrating all things British. It began with a pastoral tableau that morphed before our eyes into the London of the Industrial Revolution, and then morphed again into modernity. 

The ceremonies were dramatic, beautiful, and used technology to the hilt to amaze the audience. It was not just the spectacle that made it great, it was also overflowing with emotion and spiked with humor. Danny Boyle, the director, did an incredible job.

My news print poem does not do it justice. The reporter wrote a dry boring article, so I didn’t have much to work with even though I took a few liberties with the "rules" of news print poetry. (I moved one line and I added a few minor words.) I’m hoping that I’ll find a review of the opening ceremonies in tomorrow’s paper, written by a columnist instead of a reporter, that better captures the wonder of the spectacle. If so, I’ll revisit this topic with a new poem. I may even try to do a poem on this topic form scratch.

One reason that countries want to host the Olympics is to promote tourism.  The Olympic opening ceremony accomplished that, at least it did for me.  I want to visit England.  No, I want to move to England.  I was that impressed.

I wish I had been there to see it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.