by Catherine Giordano
I am going to have one of my stories published in a national anthology: Not Your Mother’s Book—On Parenting. The story in titled “Figuring It Out” and it is about how my son learned that there is no Santa Claus. The story is both humorous and heartwarming. The book will be available in September 2013. Look for it where ever fine books are sold.
In addition to my independently published books (self-publishing print-on-demand books in now called “independent publishing”) I have a few other writing credits, all from smaller regional publications.
· Three of my poems were included in a poetry anthology Love and Other Passions; Poets of Central Florida (2012).
· I have had two stories published in The Florida Writer, a magazine for members of The Florida Writers Association. The stories were “I Organize, Therefore I Am” (Volume 5, Number 4, 2011) and “Accidental Kidnapper” (Volume 6 Number 3, 2012). My third story, “Yellow Bird”, will appear in the next issue available in June 2013 (Volume 7, Number 1, 2012). I’m proud to say that I have submitted stories three times and been accepted all three times.
· I had poems and essays published in the LIFE at UCF newsletter (2011, 2012)
· I had a couple of my news print poems published in an online journal, Poetry Breakfast.
· I had a column and news print poem published in The Winter Park Observer, a local newspaper.
I decided to take up my childhood dream of being a writer in 2011, so I have now been writing for about two years. In addition to poetry, I write essays, short creative non-fiction (taking a true story, but writing it as if it were fiction) and the occasional piece of flash fiction (very short short-stories.)
I have submitted my work for publication sporadically, but I feel encouraged now to submit on a more consistent basis.
And who knows, maybe I have a great novel in me.
So far I haven’t gotten paid, although I could have obtained royalties from Not Your Mothers Book. The amount of payment would have been very small because the royalty has to be split among 60 authors, so I opted for ten free copies of the book instead.
My next milestone—get paid.
Please share this review by tweeting, "liking" on facebook, and "+1 ing" on google circles.
Please ""follow" so you don't miss any of my posts.