Monday, December 1, 2014

Stop the Killing

Bare trees with the slogan "Stop the Killing"
Dead tress are used as a metaphor for capital punishment.
 by Catherine Giordano

Stop the killing.

This nation's shame is that when I say "Stop the Killing," you don't know what killing I am referring to.

It's almost the anniversary of the Sandy Hook school shooting. Is that the killing I am referring to?

Fergusson has police-shooting of unarmed black teenagers and boys in the news. Is that the killing I am referring to?

Actually, I am referring to a third type of shameful killing. Capital punishment, aka the death penalty.  At first you may think that the killing of innocent people has no relationship to the killing of condemned prisoners. The truth is there is not a whole lot of difference.

See why I say these three categories of killing are very much the same. I've given some of the reasons in these three posts.

Thou Shall Not Kill: The Immorality of the Death Penalty

The Hangman's Plea: End Capital Punishment (Includes poems about the death penalty)

Why Innocent People are On Death Row

Death Row Follies


For more information: Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty


Read this book to understand how the death penalty affects everyone involved. 

Dead Man Walking: The Eye Witness Account of the Death Penalty That Sparked a National Debate


You could also watch the movie with Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn.

Dead Man Walking (DvD)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.