Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Understanding Zombies: The Walking Dead Returns

The Walking Dead cast posterby Catherine Giordano

The Walking Dead returns to A&E on Sunday, February 8 for the second half of  Season 5.

The show is so much more than gore and violence and killing.  It is about the questions:”What does it mean to be human?”  “Who is family?” What is important in life?”  “How do we combat evil?  What is human nature? ” And a lot more. Deep philosophical stuff.


You’ll appreciate the show so much more if you have a better understanding of “the zombie question. ” Someone who read my post told me in a comment, “Now, I understand why I like this show so much.”
 
The creator of the original graphic novel that the show is based on, Robert Kirkman,   said, “The thing that excites me most about this show is that because these characters are growing and evolving and changing.”  I agree.  I can’t wait to see how the characters respond to the new challenges they will face in season 5.

The Walking Dead Novel
CLICK HERE
for the graphic novel
Rick Grimes and his band of survivors are usually pretty smart, but they walked right into a trap when they entered “Terminus.” Maybe they believed in Terminus because they were just so desperate for a safe haven. Or maybe, the characters have to do stupid things every now and then to keep the plot going. If it was me, I’d get on an island. The zombies can’t swim.
If my post gets you to thinking, please let me know in a comment.
The Walking Dead DVD
CLICK HERE
FOR THE DVD's









If you missed anything from the prior seasons, A&E has made reruns available on TV.  Or you can get the DVDs.

Here is an example of The Waking Dead confronting moral issues that are relevant in real life. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone advocated killing Ebola patients.Tom Kincannor, Republican operative from South Carolina infamous for racist, sexist, and generally obnoxious comments, proved my prediction correct in a tweet on October 4, 2014. Also, he recommends execution for anyone who might possibly been exposed.
 
It reminded me of The Walking Dead story arc in which Carol kills Karen and David, two young people who were part of the band of survivors. A virus was sickening and killing members of the group, and sick people could infect others. Also when they died they turned into walkers, and that was not a pretty sight. Carol said they had to be killed to save the rest of the group. Was she right to do what she did?

If Ebola does come to the United States will vigilantes be killing people?

Watch the video. The show-runners and actors give us a preview of what is in store for our band of survivors. 




 



 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.