Friday, January 6, 2012

Making Creative Changes

News print poetry, a term I invented (at least I hope no one else has used it before) is a form of found poetry or blackout poetry.  However, from what I have seen, these type of poems, while borrowing from other written material, usually change the original piece so that the new poem is entirely different.  My poems stick to the topic of the news story, although I may slightly alter the original meaning in sublte ways -- like eliminating the word "not".

Sometimes the reporters make it easy for me with great imagery like "mechanical sharks swim their final laps" in the poem "The End of the Line" or great alliteration like, "a series of splashes and several sneaky shark attacks," from the same poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.