Thursday, January 5, 2012

Getting Started

The idea of news print poetry is to transform one newspaper article a day from the Orlando Sentinel (the local newspaper in Orlando, Florida) into a poem. I call it "found poetry". The title of the poem must come from the headline. The words of the poem must be taken from the article, but they must stay in their original order. No words can be added.

It's not as easy as it sounds. My first thought is that I would compose poems about major news stories from the front page. It turns out that these stories are often just too bland and souless to turn into a poem. I'm still trying to use the major stories, but often the inside pages have a quirky story that makes a far better poem.

So far the work is going well; so well that on some days I do two or three stories. I hope I will have the time to continue to do at least one a day. 

It's a lot of fun.  I wake up in the morning and I can't wait to tear into the newspaper.

Please enjoy this blog with me by becoming a follower.  Please also follow the primary blog. http://newsprintpoetry2012.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.