Thursday, March 15, 2012

Outrage

The sensless killing of a teenaged boy, guilty only of "walking while black", has me so outraged that I broke two of my rules for news print poetry today.

First, in the last stanza of the poem, I used the words in the story, but took the liberty of adding a few words so that the lines would make sense and have impact.

Second, I usually only write one or two sentences to comment on the poem.  Today a wrote two paragraphs.  I had to express my outrage, the outrage that I couldn't fit into the poem.  I understand that a newspaper reported has to be restrained, but a poet doesn't.

I broke my arbitrary rules so that I could add my voice to the calls for justice.

Read the poem by clicking the link below.

http://newsprintpoetry2012.blogspot.com/2012/03/call-for-justice.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.