Friday, December 1, 2017

Poems About Mothers, Motherhood, and Mothering

Mother-child
This is a beautiful picture of a mother and a child. 

I collected six of my poems about being a mother of a child and a daughter of a mother. Let me know if you like them.


Mothers are central in our lives and, if you are a female, mothering is central to your life. Mothering is in our DNA because it is essential to the survival of our species. 

When I was writing poetry, I would often find that I thought I was writing about one thing, but the poem would turn out to be about some aspect of motherhood. It seems my unconscious had some ideas that needed to be expressed.

I came to motherhood myself at a relatively advanced age.  I was in my 40's when I adopted my son. There is a favorite little saying--you might call it a poem--that is common among adoptive mothers.

You grew
not under my heart, 
but in it. 

I've been told by parents who have both adopted children and natural born children that the love they feel for these children is the same. I believe them. 

Each of these six poems looks at a different aspect of motherhood from being a mother-in-waiting-to child-raising to the death of a mother.

Click the link above to see my poems. Let me know how you like them.







1 comment:

Please let me know what you think by posting a comment.